June 28, 2007

Don't Believe the Hype


Tomorrow at 6pm, those loveable scamps at Apple will be introducing their much heralded iPhone.

Gauging by the subject line, my thoughts are pretty clear: I'm too poor to buy an iPhone and activate a service plan with AT&T.

Typically, Apple will release a product of this magnitude and I'm the first bespectacled dork on the bandwagon. That's definitely what I did when they released the new breed of iMac in 2004. I'm certainly not anti-Apple by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, fuck, I'm on one right now.
I just can't reasonably think of how I could justify plopping down over $600 for a cell phone.

"Oh, it's not just any cellphone, you caustic twit."

I realize that. It's a mobile multimedia station that just so happens to allow you to make phone calls on AT&T's lousy network. When you've run your battery to it's end, you get to mail it to Apple and have them replace your battery for what might cost around $100.

I'm willing to allow myself to not hop on this costly trend so that I'm not any more in debt than I am now. $600+ for a slick phone isn't in the cards, no matter what kind of rave reviews it's getting. If you've got the skrilla to drop on it, by all means, be the thoughtless drone who will buy any Apple branded product. Enjoy when some homeless dude mugs your ass for your cell phone.

No comments: