August 29, 2007

We built this city

I recently moved from the Oklahoma City area to the St. Louis metropolitan area. It's a pretty big move to make. I lived in Oklahoma since I was 10 and as much as I complained about the people, the weather, everything, it's still difficult for me to get used to calling somewhere else home.

So I thought up a neat idea would be a type of "the new resident's guide to St. Louis". My friends in Oklahoma could writhe in agony at the entertainment at my disposal (I know it's nothing compared to sitting with meemaw on the porch in 100ยบ weather, sipping sweet tea) but that's not the point.

So what the hell should you do if you're in St. Louis either newly transplanted or visiting?
- Go down to the Loop. It's the home to Vintage Vinyl, food of every variety (Ethopian, anybody?), live music... it's sort of what Campus Corner near the University of Oklahoma campus aspires to be and what 6th Street in Austin is (but much smaller).
- Recreate the scene of vandalism from National Lampoon's Vacation. The Simpsons have taken their fair share of shots at East St. Louis (it being facetiously listed as the 300th best city to live in; "East St Louis?" to which Homer responds "Is there any OTHER St. Louis?") but one more couldn't hurt. Besides, how can you not love a town where Tina met Ike and Darius Miles grew up?
- The Zoo. It's free but you do have to pay to park. So, free is a bit of a misnomer. Either way, it's a quality zoo. They have penguins and puffins and really that's all you need to know. The bird house is great, the bears (all varieties) are wonderful... it's just fun.

This isn't all there is to do. That's basically all I've got time to write about, though. I'll explore a few more places, expound upon the Loop and other trendy shit-hot spots, and make myself look like a total dumbass. Enjoy the show.

No comments: