October 1, 2007

Babes in Rockland:

Sadly, though not a lesbian, I've had babes on the the brain a lot lately. Not just any kind of babes, though. In my mind, the best babes are women who rock and rock hard. My favorite band used to be Rilo Kiley, who was fronted by (easily) one of the best broads in the game (at least in my mind, but I'm also not stupid/ignorant). While Jenny Lewis still (kind of) rocks pretty hard and is a gorgeous woman it's time to examine some of the other beauties in the indie rock world.

Annie Clark:
Obviously, it's easy to see why she's so hot right now. Not only does she play guitar, she plays it well. Alongside her guitar playing, she sings out hand crafted genuine lyrics in a gorgeous and flirty soprano voice. It is absolutely true that she speaks of what it is like to be in the mid-20's in America while also remaining a true romantic of our time. How can you not like someone who has played in Sufjan Steven's touring band AND The Polyphonic Spree? Also, Annie and I are kinda hair twins. Hers is a lot more tame than mine...but I'll be damned if it's not as cute as a button, just like the rest of her. A quirky young woman who knows how to rock, what's not to love? This fellow midwesterner better be at SXSW 2008 or else I'm considering just not going at all.

Leslie Feist:
I thought I was the only one who was all up on her shit, then Apple came out with their newest campaign for the new generation of iPod Nanos (with the extremely pointless, useless and unnecessary teeny tiny video screen). Sadly, I have a soft spot in my heart for Canadians, which is partially why she gets my vote for a Babe in Rockland. She, like Annie Clark, is more than just a "solo" artist and performs with Broken Social Scene. For a time, Feist lived with roommate Peaches, which only adds to the cool factor.

Anyway, everyone is all over that infectious jazz tinged indie rock and I'm not one to argue. I'm loving it a lot and really, to be honest, just can't get enough. I'm hoping I haven't missed my chance to see Feist.

Stefanie Drootin:
I'm sure a few people are scratching their heads trying to come up with where they've seen or heard this name before. Now a transplanted Californian living in Omaha, Drootin has made a name for herself cheifly by being the bassist for The Good Life and Art In Manila. Stefanie performed in the Bright Eyes tour that featured an all woman band backing him up in 2003 before Tim Kasher asked her to become a permanent fixture in The Good Life. According to her myspace, Stefanie has been working on a solo album this past summer and I really can not wait to hear the results.

I had the great fortune of attending last weeks The Good Life show at WashU here in St. Louis. I've seen Cursive six times before but never had the chance to see The Good Life. It was nothing short of phenomenal. As a fellow bassist I couldn't help but watch and listen continuously to Stefanie throughout the show. I spoke with her afterwards about the band, the tour, the new Good Life LP (Help Wanted Nights), and about her bass (which is a freaking sweet Aria Pro II and I totally want one now).

My personal honorable mentions also go out to:

Kori Gardner (Mates of State)
Khaela Maricich (The Blow)
Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam (M.I.A.)
Lily Allen
Chandra and Leigh Watson (The Watson Twins, who backed Jenny Lewis while also having their own act)
Laura Burhenn (Georgie James)
Maria Taylor

Who would you pick and why? I'd be really interested in hearing who else is out there.

No comments: