March 13, 2008

SXSW Watch


Jenn and I were going to go to SXSW as our honeymoon. It's short on the romantic and long on the rock, sweat, and the holy cluster fuck, to be sure, but it's generally a grand old time. We went in 2006, caught a free Velvet Teen show at some little outdoor stage at a bar, saw the Saddle Creek/Barsuk Showcase at the Parish, mildly schmoozed at some weird bar-in-a-parking garage, and ran out of money. I think we saw Rogue Wave at the Urban Outfitters on Guadalupe, though. God I hate that boho bullshit.

Needless to say, we are short on funds again so pulling the typical blogger vacation to Austin is out. For at least a year.

Our homeboys in So Many Dynamos (link on the side) are playing something like four shows. There's the Billiken Club Day Party at Jovitas Mexican Restaurant (aside: You cannot get decent Mexican food in St. Louis. If anybody knows exceptions to this generalizations, leave a message.) They bomb a house party at 3102 Robinson on the 14th, then play Saturday at Parts and Labour (1604 S Congress Ave). Go. Enjoy. If you're label affiliated, sign them. I think Griffin owes me a ride home when I'm drunk.

Other than that, big-time sanctioned shows I'd be at if I could afford it and could bend time and space today would be:
Talib Kweli (5:30) and Del the Funky Homosapien (7) at the Auditorium Shores Stage
Octopus Project at 1am at Emo's (Maybe they can redeem themselves)
The Evangelicals at 10pm at Mohawk Patio
Dizzee Rascal at 1:15am at the Scoot Inn
The English Beat at 11:45 at whatevers at 504 Trinity

Since I am stuck in the 'Lou, I'm going to go grab dinner at my in-laws house. Hey, there's a bonus!

No comments: